Major IT issue

Thank you for your patience whilst IT have been resolving the problems. The majority of our systems are now back online and IT are working hard to resolve the final few.

Nearly all problems have been resolved, although customers may still get a "delivery failure" reply if emailing a Council department.

You can still carry out most transactions on our website. If you need to contact us by phone and your call is urgent we will try to help you. If your call is not urgent please contact us in the latter half of next week as we anticipate the first half of the week to be extremely busy.

We apologise for any inconvenience while we work to resolve this problem.

Religious bodies and people from abroad

Residents who are members of Religious Bodies and certain International Organisations can be disregarded for Council Tax, or if the property is their main residence in the United Kingdom, it could be exempt.

If you think you may be entitled to a discount, you should contact the Revenues Team on or call us on 03450 450 064.


Foreign Diplomats and Members of Visiting Forces

Certain foreign diplomats, members of visiting forces and NATO representatives (and their dependants) can be disregarded for Council Tax.

If any of these are the liable person of their main residence, it can be exempt from Council Tax.

(For example, if they rent or own their own property, they it might be exempt from Council Tax. If they are a lodger in a larger household and live with the owner, they might be disregarded so the owner gets a discount).

  • The above persons must not be a permanent UK resident, British Citizen or Subject.

Armed Forces Accommodation

Ministry of Defence properties which are owned by the Secretary of State and used for the purposes of Armed Forces accommodation are exempt from Council Tax.

They do however pay a Contribution in Lieu which is equivalent to the Council Tax they would be charged.


Religious Bodies

  • Some members of religious communities, such as monks and nuns who are dependent on the religious organisation to provide for their material needs, are disregarded for Council Tax.
  • A property which is unoccupied and awaiting a Minister of religion is exempt. This applies usually to Vicarages and places from where Religious duties will be carried out.


You will need to continue to pay your council tax as per your instalments until a discount or exemption is granted.

Was this web page helpful?