Major IT issue

Thank you for your patience whilst IT have been resolving the problems. The majority of our systems are now back online and IT are working hard to resolve the final few.

Nearly all problems have been resolved, although customers may still get a "delivery failure" reply if emailing a Council department.

You can still carry out most transactions on our website. If you need to contact us by phone and your call is urgent we will try to help you. If your call is not urgent please contact us in the latter half of next week as we anticipate the first half of the week to be extremely busy.

We apologise for any inconvenience while we work to resolve this problem.

Finding a property

Finding a property in South Cambridgeshire's private rented housing market

Rented accommodation comes in different types:

  • Bed-sits
  • flats
  • houses
  • shared flats/houses 

In some cases the house or flat may be:

  • Shared with the landlord (resident landlord). 
  • managed by a letting agent or managing agent. 

Private rented properties are either furnished or unfurnished and rents vary accordingly.

Work out your housing need

It's essential that you choose accommodation that you need rather than what you necessarily want. This is especially the case for people who will be relying on housing benefit under the Local Housing Allowance to pay their rent.

When deciding what housing you need, you should consider:

  • Property type - studio/bedsit, house, flat or maisonette. You also need to decide what floor accommodation you would accept e.g. ground floor, first floor.
  • Property size - see LHA bedroom rates for further details.

If a property has more bedrooms than housing benefit think you need, your benefit is likely to be reduced.

Where to look for property

Once you have decided on your housing need you can begin to look for properties. There are a number of ways to do this:

  • Local newspapers - have a look in the special sections of local newspapers advertising accommodation to let.
  • other ideas - local shop windows, community noticeboards, supermarket noticeboards or anywhere where people may advertise. Landlords will often advertise here.
  • letting agents - letting agents manage properties on behalf of private landlords so that the landlord does not have to deal directly with their tenant
  • property search sites - Such as Rightmove and Zoopla, include rental properties that landlords often advertise their properties on.

What to do when you think you have found a property

View the property - Make sure you go and have a look at a property before you sign any forms to say that you will take it. What may sound perfect may be completely different when you actually view it. 

If you have any concerns, you are not obliged to take it, especially if you haven't signed anything, and you can refuse it and start looking again.

Was this web page helpful?